BBSI partners with your business.
Our team is comprised of professionals who specialize in the areas of business successful companies are founded upon. Our team, in actuality, becomes your team, when you partner with BBSI.
Let us introduce you to your team…
With more than three decades of C-level experience in luxury hospitality leadership, Jeff Kohl has broad expertise in business development & management, marketing, sales, retailing, operations, and programming & services. With many projects to his credit, Kohl is a talented veteran of facility development, branding, and critical path to launch.
Kohl’s visionary, results-driven style has been a driving force throughout his career, where he has delivered significant contributions and trend-setting innovations across diverse business operations. Kohl’s confident and direct approach brings clear purpose and direction to the teams and initiatives under his leadership.
Prior to joining BBSI, Kohl worked for an impressive slate of companies including:
- Spa & Club Ideations, LLC, Chief Operating Officer – a Business Development Consultant to Mayo Clinic where he spearheaded industry-first initiatives to expand Mayo Clinic’s reach into the rapidly-emerging wellness-tourism industry.
- Elizabeth Arden Red Door Spas, Chief Operating Officer – Provided key leadership and management for the 30 full-service spa and salon iconic brand’s Operations, Training, Marketing, Sales, Products and Services teams. He also facilitated negotiations leading to a 32% acquisition of Red Door Spas by Elizabeth Arden.
- Precor, Inc., Global Hospitality Sales Director – Negotiated a 5-year, $100M agreement making Precor the exclusive fitness equipment provider for all brands in the Hilton Worldwide portfolio.
- Princess Cruise Lines, Corporate Director of Onboard Revenue – Overseeing 8 revenue departments onboard the fleet and launched the first web-based spa reservation system in the cruise industry; a prototype that is now an industry standard.
- Disney Development/Disney Institute/Disney Cruise Lines, Manager of Spa & Fitness – Developed the first Disney-owned and operated spas; managed daily operations of spa and fitness at the Disney Institute and oversaw the successful development of facilities for Disney’s first two cruise ships.
- ISPA (International Spa Association) – Served multiple terms as Chairman of the ISPA Board and President of the ISPA Foundation. Over a 20 year continually active involvement, led ISPA’s international restructuring and membership enrichment program. Recognized for this volunteer work and contributions, was awarded the 2018 Dedicated Contributor Award.
- Las Vegas Metro Chamber of Commerce Presidents Club
Human Resources Manager
Cheryl Laws has nearly two decades of experience in human resources. She is an expert on employee relations; benefit enrollment; new hire orientations; Worker’s Compensation; FMLA/ADA leave of absences; recruiting; performance management counseling; as well as training large groups on various HR related topics for both employees and managers.
Before starting with BBSI Las Vegas, Laws served five years with BBSI San Bernardino. In the San Bernardino branch, she was responsible for supporting a $103M business unit by providing strategic Human Resource guidance, training and support to an average of 75 clients by assisting them in managing and maximizing their human capital.
Laws developed and executed management training regarding AB1825, AB 2053, performance management, recruitment and selection, conflict resolution as well as other organizational leadership related matters. As a business-owner advocate, Laws has assessed, analyzed and delivered measurable results to owners to ensure BBSI’s solutions positively impacted their success and profitability.
Working in human resources since 1990, Laws received a Professional Designation of Human Resource Management from University of California, Irvine and a Bachelor of Arts in Sociology from California State University, Long Beach. She is a member of the Society of Human Resources Management (SHRM), achieved a Yellow Belt in Lean Six Sigma and is a Las Vegas Metro Chamber of Commerce Presidents Club member.
Payroll Operations Manager
Shelley Martin has more than a decade’s worth of experience in payroll. Before starting with BBSI Las Vegas, Martin served seven years at BBSI Ontario
In her time with BBSI, Martin has been responsible for a client base that spans over 2,500 employees, and multiple business types with varying payroll-reporting frequencies. She was involved in creating payroll templates unique to each client’s needs, involving all payroll data, wages and deductions. She works with clients for compliance in policies and procedures mandated by federal, state, and local laws, including client handbook policies and updates.
Martin implements trainings for administration staff regarding time & attendance issues, proper reporting of wages, PTO set ups, balances, tracking of proper HR procedures and benefits. She spearheaded Phase Two of a new payroll system for BBSI and worked closely with IT and corporate program developers for installing the web-based portal for clients’ use.
Working as a payroll specialist since 2007, Martin holds an HR Fundamentals Certificate from Chaffey College and Financial Accounting and Analysis Certificate, also from Chaffey College. Shelley is also a member of the Las Vegas Metro Chamber of Commerce Presidents Club.
Steve Medellin has more than three decades of safety experience in both general and construction industries. Medellin has an extensive professional background in evaluating risks, suggesting opportunities for improvement, and implementing plans and strategies to accomplish set goals.
Medellin brings many years of success to BBSI, including being an entrepreneur and a Combat Arms Instructor for the U.S. Air Force. Previous roles include:
- Sr. Risk Manager – ICW Group, where Medellin provided safety services for all types of accounts on a tiered base system in Southern Nevada, and certain areas of Arizona & California.
- Compliance Safety Health Officer / Trainer – State of Nevada, where he completed over 200 comprehensive and specific targeted inspections to ensure compliance of construction and general industry standards.
- Safety Manager – PENTA Building Group, where Medellin was responsible for safety at Golden Nugget Hotel/Casino 25-Story Tower in downtown Las Vegas.
- Loss Prevention Consultant – Employers Insurance Company of Nevada, where Medellin maintained an $8-Million book-of-business of construction and general industry accounts for the largest Worker’s Compensation carrier in Nevada.
- Las Vegas Metro Chamber of Commerce Presidents Club
Medellin is a Certified OSHA trainer for the construction industry and is a professional member of the American Society of Safety Engineers. He has a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science from University of Las Vegas.
BBSI (NASDAQ:BBSI) is a leading provider of business management solutions, combining human resource outsourcing and professional management consulting to create a unique operational platform that differentiates it from competitors. The Company’s integrated platform is built upon expertise in payroll processing, employee benefits, workers’ compensation coverage, risk management and workplace safety programs, and human resource administration. BBSI’s partnerships help businesses of all sizes improve the efficiency of their operations. The Company works with more than 5,000 clients across all lines of business in 20 states.
If you like how BBSI works with businesses but your business calls another place home, chances are, we can work together.
Visit BBSI HQ today to connect with a team.